Burns Paiute Tribe ~ Transportation Department
On-Call Transit Bus Driver
Burns Paiute Tribe
Burns Paiute Reservation, surrounding communities
Open until filled
Transportation/Planner Program Manager
$11.00 per hour, (non-exempt) On-call / no benefits
This position is responsible for the safe, reliable and efficient operation of passenger buses for the Tribally-operated public transportation system. Driver will operate a 15-passenger bus on a regular fixed-route, and on assigned Stop schedules.
- Readies and inspects vehicle on a daily basis in order to insure safe and efficient operation of equipment.
- Operates a transit vehicle providing regular fixed-route transportation services to persons with disabilities and the general public.
- Will be assigned cellular phone for routine communication with supervisor, and support staff; to report accidents, emergencies, or other unusual situations related to equipment and/or passengers; and eventually to operate two-way radio with the dispatch center.
- Assist passengers boarding and disembarking from vehicle, and responsible for proper securement of passengers and mobility (wheel-chair) devices.
- Inspects all safety items, cleanliness and general appearance of the vehicle at least daily. Reports any equipment defects as prescribe to immediate supervisor.
- Complete and submit time-sheets, incident reports, and other information requested to immediate supervisor.
- Promotes good passenger relations through courteous treatment of passengers and providing information regarding system operations, such as route and schedule information.
- Always interfaces with other operators when relieving or being relieved on shift.
- Maintains clean appearance of driver’s area.
- Maintain continual attendance on the Bus, except for scheduled breaks, to ensure the security and safety of the Bus and passengers.
- Return and secure the Bus at designated parking area next to Tribal Police Office.
- Ability to safely operate a transit vehicle under all conditions of weather, roadways, and traffic while successfully dealing with passengers, route and schedule requirements.
- Ability to perform multi-task functions in what can sometime be a high-stress environment.
- Ability to gain operational knowledge of the system and every vehicle assigned.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and safety rules applicable to the transportation of passengers.
- Ability and willingness to maintain a courteous, professional approach when dealing with the public, and to address problems that arise.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, outside agencies, and with the general public.
- Must be willing to work day or evening shifts.
- Must maintain punctual and regular attendance to provide dependable service to the public.
- Ability to participate in a Tribal Operator Training Program.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age at time of application, with at least five years of driving experience.
- Valid Oregon State driver’s license at time of hire and ability to obtain a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with appropriate endorsements within one year of hire and maintain licensing during length of employment.
- Must pass background check
- Obtain and maintain a valid and current CPR, with First Aid Card, and Blood-Pathogen card within 6 months of hire.
- Physical Ability to perform essential job functions including, but not limited to, sitting for extended periods of time, standing, walking, stooping/bending, pushing/pulling (approximately 20 lbs.), lifting (approximately 30 lbs.), and climbing (stairs)
- Full and complete use of all limbs to operate Bus controls.
- Meets all minimum requirements of CLD Physical Standards
- Must submit to and pass a drug test.
- Must permit a criminal background check.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must provide three (3) years of driving records.
Indian preference will be given to candidates showing proof of enrollment in a federally recognized tribe. In the absence of Indian applicants meeting the qualifications as listed above, all applicants not entitled to or who fail to claim Indian Preference will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, political preference, age, religion, or national origin.
How to Apply:
Email, Fax, or Mail application and resume` three (3) business references, along with any required documents to:
Burns Paiute Tribe Human Resources Department
Human Resource Director
100 Pasigo St.
Burns, OR 97720
Phone: (541) 573-8013
Fax: (541) 573-5565
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT INFORMATION TO PROVE QUALIFICATIONS FOR TRIBAL POSITIONS.
PLEASE NOTE: If requirements are not met, i.e., submission of a resume in lieu of a tribal application, or not including a required certification, your application will not be reviewed and will be disqualified.